Sunday, June 14, 2009

Involved or Committed?


Read John 1:38-51

“The difference between "involvement" and "commitment" is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was "involved"--the pig was "committed".” This saying by an unknown source seems to understand very well what is required of you and me as Christians.
The silence could have had several sources: hesitation, fear, confusion or caution. “Will you marry me?” Bobby had asked and then his heart stopped as he searched her eyes for a clue.
Terri knew the answer but still paused. You see, for the rest of their lives, people would ask how he had proposed and what she had said…Terri wanted her line to be memorable, witty and unique. Since nothing clever came to mind, she opted for something committal: She said, “Yes.”
I remember my proposal. It was going to be powerful. I had everything planned. It was going to be perfect. Then my wife-to-be did not show up for work. A wrench was quickly thrown into all of my plans. She missed out. Instead, I took her to dinner, and tried to surprise her, and failed miserably. I ended up simply asking her in the front seat of the Jeep Cherokee we happened to be driving that night. THANK GOD, she said yes. I was certain of the answer, and yet, there was that anxiousness for her to say yes.
We often respond to God with the same silence. He issues to us a personal invitation, “Follow Me. I promise to give you My all. Will you simply give Me your life?” We feel His invitation echo in our souls. Still, we pause. Our silence can have several sources: hesitation, fear, confusion, and caution. Our pause often reflects a desire for more information, more answers or more time. “I am not ready yet. Or, later, but not now. Are You entirely trustworthy?” “I am afraid I could not live up to Your expectations. Will You take things away from me or send me where I do not want to go?” The truth is God has a better record of faithfulness, gentleness, care, and commitment than any human we have ever said, “Yes” to! Yet, we still pause.
I would like to think God had the same thoughts that I had when I proposed. I think when he called me, He knew what my answer would be, but that excitement to hear me say yes welled up in Him. Like a gentleman, God waits for our response, knowing that the sooner we say, “Yes” the sooner He can begin to bring us new life. Pausing may seem to buy us more time. In reality, pausing only delays healing and deepens pain. God’s invitation gently echoes in our souls. He invites us to follow, to forgive, to release, to risk and to believe. His pierced heart patiently longs to hear us say, “Yes.”

“Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek.”
- Mario Andretti

No comments:

Post a Comment