Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Love Revealing God

Read I Corinthians 13

Today is the last day I will talk about this passage. What we have talked about the last few days about love can seem to be an insurmountable task. How can we ever get to the point of loving like Paul is admonishing us to love? In truth, we never will. It is the reason why I have tried to show that this passage is really a revelation of God. Only God can be patient with us like this passage declares. Only God possesses the kindness this passage reveals. When you get a glimpse of love, you really see God.
Having said that, I believe we all possess the ability to love. I see it in myself when I see my sons. It doesn’t matter how many times I have told them to do something and they doesn’t do it, I still love them. I enjoy showing them kindness. I want the best for them. However, I have also learned that love doesn’t happen overnight. After reading the last few days, you might be thinking – “Man, how can I ever live up to this stuff – I might as well give up.” Remember what Paul says – “When I became a man I put away childish things.” Growing up in love is a process as we mature. It takes time and experience – don’t beat yourself up, just know that this is the direction you should be heading if you have a vibrant relationship with the Lord.
While love is an action, it is not a fireworks display. Let’s not make the mistake that the Corinthians did, for that matter, the Pharisees, made. Showing love means an attitude and actions – but true love is more often a very quiet, unobtrusive affair. We don’t need to broadcast the depth of our love and the amount of our selflessness to the whole world. Don’t expect fireworks to go off as you show and grow in love. We need to expect lives to begin to grow and heal and change – that’s the pay off.
Remember, needing and asking for things isn’t bad. Acting in love doesn’t mean you take a vow of poverty. James said “you have not because you ask not.” Jesus said (Matthew 7:7) "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” The problem isn’t with the asking – it’s with the motivation. James goes on to say: (James 4:3) “When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.” We err when we seek to fulfill our desires from the wrong source – or we ask God for things for the wrong reasons. So search your heart – then ask – then wait for God to respond to what you really need. How about it? Are you ready to see God, and love?

“We can do no great things, only small things with great love.”
- Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment