Saturday, April 22, 2017

Matthew 7:7, Luke 11:9

“Paralyze resistance with persistence.”
      Woody Hayes


I just learned a lesson.  It is a powerful lesson and I didn’t read it out of a book, listen to it on a tape, or see it on a DVD.  I learned this lesson from my 2 ½ year old son.  Yes, this 35-year-old preacher that has been in the ministry for 17 years has been reminded of a great principle from a little boy that still has not learned to speak clear English.  It is the lesson of persistence.  He wanted me to help him find his hammer (that dreaded instrument that Papa gave him to pound on everything in the house).  Well, I, in my brilliance as a father, thought that if I distracted him with another toy I would not have remove myself from the lazy-boy to search for the hammer.  Oftentimes, that principle of distraction works, and he goes on to find another of the million or so toys he possesses to play with.  However, at this instance, he WANTS the hammer and will not leave me alone until I find it.  It seems like he can say, “Dad” a thousand times without taking a breath.  I think sometimes it is that way with my heavenly Father.  Sometimes I wonder if He is really hearing me when I pray.  I ask Him to do something or give me something, and it seems like nothing happens.  Didn’t we read in the scriptures above that if I ask, it shall be given?  Could it be that God is just trying to see how serious we really are about the request that we made?  I think sometimes He does what I did with my son (most likely for other reasons, however!!!).  He knows that if He waits for a time that we may find something else to satisfy our supposed need.  However, I believe that if He sees the persistent asking, seeking and knocking of our spirits, that He cannot help but to help us.  If we, as human fathers do for our children when they are persistent, how much does our heavenly Father do when He sees our persistence?  When was the last time you focused on something in prayer until you saw God move in that particular situation?  Maybe He’s just waiting to see how serious you are about receiving what He has for you?  Take some time right now for an inventory on things you may have forgotten you asked God for, and then begin to pursue Him persistently.  Oh, excuse me; I need to find that hammer…

No comments:

Post a Comment