Saturday, September 9, 2017


II Timothy 1:1-7, 3:14-15
“If we work upon marble it will perish. If we work upon brass time will efface it. If we rear temples, they will crumble to dust. But if we work upon men's immortal minds, if we imbue them with high principles, with the just fear of God and love of their fellow men, we engrave on those tablets something which no time can efface, and which will brighten and brighten to all eternity.”
                       Daniel Webster
I read a conversation a while ago. It went something like this. "My great-grandfather owned this rifle," the man said proudly. In his hand was a mint-condition rifle from the days when the pioneers were moving across the American West. I admired its beautiful walnut stock and shiny brass fittings. He said, "It came down to my grandfather, who passed it on to my father, who gave it to me. It has been in the family more than 100 years. I'm going to give it to my son when he turns 25." 
Every parent wants to leave something for their children to hold onto long after they are gone. My grandmother was a very interesting woman. She could cook better than anyone I have ever known, and yet she could work in the garden all day as well. She could take care of my grandfather, their five children and then their sixteen grandchildren. I have two things of hers that I treasure. A picture and a porcelain train will forever be in my possession (at least until I can give it to my son). 
Heirlooms are important to us. However, the greatest thing she gave to me was not a thing. It is something that no one can put a price tag on. In fact, if these devotions have somehow blessed you, it is due in large part to her. She gave me Jesus. More than anyone else in my life, my grandma Cele displayed Jesus Christ to me. She was my nursery Sunday School teacher. She stayed on my Dad to make sure that I was raised in the family of God. She was always checking on me, making me kiss her on the cheek every time I saw her. She crossed her finish line on September 12, 1998 (Our 6th Anniversary). At her funeral, everyone present gave her a standing ovation. It is something I will never forget. 
I look at my sons today, and I know that what she gave me; I can now give to them. They are a sixth generation believers. I read this passage, and I think Paul wrote to the Timothy whose last name is Sanders. Just replace Lois’ name with Cele and Eunice with Kathy, and the scripture is talking directly to me.  Timothy's grandmother Lois and his mother Eunice trusted in Christ and taught Timothy to do the same. Mine did also. As you think about what you will pass on to your children and grandchildren, do not forget the example of your faith in Jesus. It's the most valuable "heirloom" of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment