Sunday, February 1, 2009

God: The Only One Unchangeable


Read John 10:28-29

I have said that I am afraid of heights. There is nothing more terrifying than standing on a ladder and it begin to shake. I am paralyzed by fear and my stomach drops when I begin to imagine my tumble to the ground even though I may only be a few feet in the air.
I cannot imagine how I would react if I were in an earthquake. Though I may be afraid of heights, it is not exactly the height that I worry about, it is lack of a sure footing. If I had to stand through an earthquake, I would probably just pass out.
Photographer David Crockett of Seattle’s KOMO-TV is much more brave than I. He found out one day that the mountain that looks solid and immovable wasn’t. On May 18, 1980, he was at the foot of towering Mount St. Helens when it erupted. For ten hours he was nearly buried by the falling debris. As the atmosphere cleared, a helicopter pilot spotted him. He was dramatically rescued and flown to a hospital.
Writing about his terrifying experience, he said, “During those ten hours I saw a mountain fall apart. I saw a forest disappear...I saw that God is the only one who is immovable...I feel somehow that I am being allowed to start over—whatever is in His master plan for.”
Nothing in our world, not even a mountain, or an unruly stepladder, is absolutely indestructible. God alone is unchangeable. It is only when we stand in His path that we stand on sure footing. He is the One that truly endures “forever” (Psalm 102:12). He “has established His throne in heaven, and His Kingdom rules over all.” (Psalm 103:19).
When we trust ourselves to God’s keeping, we are forever secure. He removes our sin from us “as far as the east is from the west” (psalm 103:12). His mercy towards us is “from everlasting to everlasting” (vs. 17). He holds us in His almighty hands, and nothing can pry us loose from that omnipotent grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment