Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Will You Accept The Charges?


Read Matthew 16:24-28

I remember my first call home after I left for college. I had moved all the way from the Midwest to within about 10 miles of the Atlantic Ocean. I had never been away from home for any period of time. I had just turned 18 years old. I was excited and yet there was some trepidation in me.
I picked up my empty wallet (all my money had already gone to the school), and took out a phone card that my parents had given me. I dialed all the numbers, but it didn’t work. There was something wrong with the card. I thought real hard, and with all my intellect, realized I could call collect.
I dialed the numbers, and unfortunately my little brother, who didn’t know any better refused to accept the charges. I was furious.
Do you realize that sometimes God calls collect, and some have refused to accept the charges. Living for God is not free, as we know freedom today. Living for God will cost you everything you possess (which really is nothing) to obtain everything He has for you. He dials your number and asks you to accept the charges by taking up your cross and follow Him. What will your response be? Will you accept the charges or will you refuse to pay the small price for the greatest of riches. The interesting thing is that it is entirely up to you.
I calmed down some, and tried the number later, and thankfully my mom answered the phone and accepted the charges and paid for my phone call. I was happy to be talking to my family. Can you imagine how the Lord feels whenever we accept the charges. His heart must be filled with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment