Friday, February 27, 2009

In The Midst Of Waves


Read Mark 4:36-40

My twelfth birthday was awesome. My grandparents owned a cabin on a lake in central Minnesota that was about 4 miles long and 3 miles wide. Because of its size, the waves could get fairly big. To a twelve year old, the waves were huge.
My parents allowed me to bring a friend to the cabin for the day to swim and water ski, but when we got to the cabin, the waves seemed to be about 10 feet high (my slight exaggeration!). There was no way we were going to get the boat onto the water in those waves.
I can imagine the panic that swept through those on the boat in Mark 4. The waves were probably washing over the deck, knocking things all over the place, and fear came over all. I can feel the swells as the boat climbs and then drops suddenly to the splash and crash of the water upon the boat. The fishermen knew that they were ate the mercy of the storm.
What they didn’t realize was that they had an anchor in the ship that would not only hold their boat in place, but that could control the storm. When Jesus stepped to the front and began to speak, stillness came in the midst of the storm.
For you and I to realize the worth of the anchor, we often need to feel the storm. When our boats are being battered on every side, we need to realize that there is someone in our boat that will not only keep you, but stop the storm. Are you in a storm today? Try your anchor. See if peace can be found in-between the swells of the waves. You will be amazed at the worth of your anchor in the middle of your storm.
Oh, and by the way, we played the greatest game of water volleyball in the history of time on my birthday. The waves made the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment