Friday, January 23, 2009

Bow Low to Soar High


Philippians 2:10 “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth;”

Most people think I’m a fairly large guy (stop laughing!). There are not many things that I fear, but there is one that I am almost deathly afraid of, heights. I get queasy and dizzy when I get to about four feet in the air. I figure if God wanted me to walk on air, or fly, He would have given me wings. Since He did not, I prefer to stay on the ground.
There is an area in life that I desire to dwell as high as I can: in relationship with Jesus Christ. The higher He takes me, the more blessed I become. There would be nothing greater in all of this earth than to consistently, if not constantly, walk in the clouds of glory with my Master.
As glorious as that sounds, I learned a long time ago that the only way that I could ever float in the clouds was to lie on the ground. The highest place that we can reach in this life is to be bowed low at the feet of Jesus. There is no mountain I can climb, no airplane I can travel in where I would be any higher than prostrate before Him. He loves it when I am ready to soar like the eagle.
The scripture lets us in on a little secret. “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:31)
The picture that is being cast is of the servants of old. They would walk into the realm of their master and bow low before their royalty awaiting orders. It is not a picture of someone napping in the recliner!
As we bow low before the Master awaiting His directives, He places His hands under us and delivers the strength to soar with the eagle. So, the next time you would like to attain new heights, may I suggest you bend your knee?

"You can do more than pray, after you have prayed, but you cannot do more than pray until you have prayed."
John Bunyan

No comments:

Post a Comment