Saturday, May 16, 2009

Prepare for Victory



Read Genesis 22

My heart was racing, my palms were sweating and my stomach was turning. The intensity was immeasurable. What would happen if I messed it all up? We had come so far and now if I mess up its all over. I can see this situation like it was yesterday. I am talking about the 1987 Central Bible Quiz Extravaganza at World Evangelism Center in St. Louis. We were blown out our first quiz by Waco, TX, and never dreamed we would ever make it to the finals. We got on a roll, and every question seemed to be right on the tip of my tongue. All of our contesting of the other teams answers were going our way, and even the teammates that never answered questions were getting them right! We were in the last quiz before the finals against a team from Louisiana, and it came down to whether or not I got question number 20 right and would quiz out so the 10 point bonus would beat the other team. As the thirty seconds were winding down, I let out my answer. It was correct; we won and then got smoked in the finals. For that one intense moment I felt like I was on top of the world.
God wants us to feel those mountain top emotions from time to time. The problem is, we want them without having to climb the mountain. The reason I was in a position to feel that intense moment was because of the hours that I had dedicated to the not-so-exciting time of study. I hated spending time studying my quizzing, but I loved being able to win. (I know, it was supposed to be about memorizing scripture, but as a fifteen year old, I just wanted to win. When I got a little older, I realized how awesome it was that it was scripture.) God sometimes allows us to go through some times that are excruciating, much less glorious. It is when you keep going through the pain of climbing that mountain that the intensity of the top is felt.
Do you want to step on the mountain top experience? Try to enjoy the climb, and if you struggle to climb, just remember there is a peak up ahead. The only way that you will not reach the peak is stop on the side of the mountain.
I know that in all of my quizzing, I never got on a run like that one again, but getting to that point gave me the desire to continue quizzing another couple of years until my age forced me out. If you can just climb to the top, God will place desire in you that will give you strength to get to the next mountaintop in your walk through life. Just as my racing heart, sweaty palms and rolling stomach turned into elation, can you imagine the emotions that will be prevalent when we reach the ultimate heights around the throne of Jesus?

“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.”
- Muhammad Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment