Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Debt Too Large


Read Isaiah 35:10

Taxes. What a dread! This is the dreaded day when you officially give of your income to the government. However, it seems we are taxed on everything. A pack of chewing gum. A toothbrush. Toe nail clippers. We are taxed on everything. In fact, I often get upset when I hear politicians complain about certain companies and businesses, such as gas prices. If they would just lower the taxes that are paid on those things, the prices would come down!
However, there is a debt that I owed that I could not hope to pay. The tax on my sin was beyond human remuneration. I could not hope to pay for the opportunity to enter heaven. The price for my sin was so enormously high; I would have spent my life in a debtor’s prison.
Then Jesus stepped on the scene. He walked like I walk. He talked like I talk (except He probably did it in Greek or Hebrew). He slept like I sleep. He ate like I eat. He felt like I feel. He drank like I drink. Jesus knew exactly how we operate from day to day because He did so as well. The book of Hebrews says we have a high priest that can be touched with the feeling of our infirmities.
With that knowledge of who we are in mind, Jesus saw it fitting that He would suffer the consequences of our sin. The Bible says that He became sin for us. All of your sin and all of my sin was sitting on the shoulders of the Lord when He struggled up to Golgotha. What a sight it must have been. All of our debt being taken to the “IRS” to be paid off. When Jesus stated, “It is finished,” He was releasing the debt so that we could be free of the charges that were due.
In this tax season, take a moment to gaze back at Calvary and thank Him for paying the tax for your sin.

“I've been held responsible for taxes I know nothing about.”
- James Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment